For this version of my Purple Grainotto, I used rye berries. Feel free to use any other grain of your choice.
I soaked my rye berries one day. If you don’t have time though, you can skip this process, extending the cooking time.
To make it creamy I added almond butter. You can use cheese, like Parmesan, as an alternative.
Purple Grain (Grainotto with red chicory)
- 100 g grains, i.e rye, oat, barley
- 1 head red chicory, thinly cut
- olive oil
- 1 glas white wine
- 1 tbsp almond butter, or cheese
- Heat some olive oil in a pan and add the grains. Stir for one minute and add white wine, then salt and chicory. Stir until the wine is absorbed.
- Continue by stirring and adding slowly about 1-2 (or more) dl warm water or broth. Keep stirring until the liquid is absorbed and the grains are cooked. This will take 5 to 20 minutes, depending on the chosen cereal and the soaking time (see notes).
- Just before serving, add one spoon almond butter or (Parmesan) cheese.